Thursday, February 6, 2014

Side Chick?



It's 2014 and somehow the term "side chick" has become an acceptable term. Where it came from? I'm really not sure, but I do hope that needs to be retired soon. If you are unfamiliar with the term side chick, let me school you real quick. It means mistress. Yep that’s it. No fancy long drawn out meaning. Just plain and simple, you dear friend are a mistress.

Now here is where I'm confused. When did saying, "I am ok with being the other woman" become acceptable?  Is it normal to say, “Oh I know he has a wife or girlfriend but I’m ok with it.” I was always taught that 2nd best is not acceptable. I will admit that does sound harsh, yes, but it applies in so many situations. Now, I know I will probably have a few ladies that currently are the side chick, and may or may not know it. So when you read this don’t get mad at me, I mean if the shoe fits, wear it.

The most famous side chick currently is Olivia Pope from the TV show Scandal. Yep, a fictional character is the main reason that not only is the term side chick ok but so is the behavior. For those of you who don’t watch Scandal, first off, who doesn’t watch Scandal??? Secondly, what do you do on Thursday nights??? I digress. Ms. Olivia Pope, or for those who are avid Scandal watchers who call her Liv, is the ultimate side chick. She is the mistress of the President of the United States. Now let me explain: She is not just some floozy with a short skirt that got his attention, she is a powerful attorney in Washington, D.C. She has her own everything however, she just happens to be dating the President. I know it sounds tacky but the way it is portrayed on TV makes it seem like a wonderful love story.

More like star cross lovers that are meant to be together but circumstance keep them apart. So romantic, so heartfelt, so enduring, however are SO FAKE. Somehow the women that are real life side chicks now have the idea in their head that they are in the same position as Olivia and ‘their man” is meant to be with them but circumstance seems to keep them apart.

I am not sure what is sadder; that these women have unrealistic views of what a relationship is or that society makes them think that being the other woman is ok.

So I will present to you the 5 signs you might side chick:

5. You only get text messages never a phone call
So you mean to tell me that his signal is so bad that he can never answer his phone? Like ever? But as soon as you hang up you get the text that says “hey babe signal is bad.” Where is he at, Timbuktu? Now, don’t get me wrong. I have AT&T and service with them often is touch and go but it’s still pretty good. Really sir, what service do you have?

          4. You are only allowed to go on dates at night
Now I know majority of dates happen at night. However if your “date” is at 11pm and he is taking you get a slice of pizza at the local trucker stop 25 miles outside of the city, that my dear is not a date but an upscale booty call.

          3. You have never seen him in the daytime
So, how long have you been dating a bat? Please tell me how that is working out for you. Any suggestion that involves a daylight activity results in a huge fight. I mean, who do you think you are asking for main chick privileges and you are not the main chick? Shame on you for not staying in your designated place.

2. You two run into some friends of his and you are introduced as his “friend”
This may be my favorite one yet. The dreaded “oh this is my home girl” introduction. So you and your man are visiting your local date spot when you hear someone call him by his name. You beam with joy because now you get to be introduced as his girl, or so you thought. You notice your man starts acting jittery and ignores his name being called. His friends approach him and you get hit with “oh… this umm… this is my friend, Sally.” So is this the new definition of friendship that allows you to sleep with someone and rarely get to be seen in public?  Silly side chick, titles are for main girls.

1.   You have yet to spend a holiday with him
This by far is the only sign you that you need to confirm you are the side chick. Valentine’s Day is fast approaching and you have already been told that he has to work and the 15th y’all will do something nice. Really? So tell me oh naive one, when is the last time you spent a holiday with him? I want to know what job has you work every holiday but you magically get the day after off. So you get to celebrate January 2, February 15th, July 5th, Black Friday and December 26th  and somehow you think that this is ok. My heart aches for you. You keep those dreams of main chick alive though, maybe one day.

   

---Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment